Happy Thursday Novas! Earlier this week on the Friendly Trends post, I told you that my friend Stephanie introduced me to a new mobile game called Sky Islands, so why not write up a review?!
Title: Sky Island Anime Avatar World
Publisher: Suga Studio
Devices: Android Systems
Audience: Simulation Game Rated E (Everyone)
Premise: Sky Islands is a mobile MMORPG game that allows the players to make money by running a resort! You start off with a villa that you can decorate and rent out to patrons. Renting, cleaning and decorating the villas is your task. You can serve your guests food to gain additional money. Like any MMORPG Game you are able to fully customize your character’s appearance.
Gameplay: You are greeted by Milky; a cat butler that is sent to help and serve you. This game is very anime, so you are referred to as “Master” throughout the game.
You also take charge of a garden where you can grow different fruits. The fruits have different uses like serving customers food, upgrading items in your villas or dyeing your clothing and hair! You can unlock different hair styles, features, clothing and accessories at higher levels.
Mini Games- When you are waiting for tenants to leave or crops to grow, you can take advantage of different mini games to gain extra revenue. One of the most popular mini games will be the Pinata Party.
- Pinata Party – At Pinata Parties each guest donates 2 candies when they enter the host’s hot spring. The host can start the party once 10 candies are received. When the party starts, pinatas will start popping up over your screen and your goal is to tap as many pinatas as possible before time runs out (kind of like whack a mole). The top 3 players get to click on a prize box to receve coins or gems. Everyone else gets 100 coins as a consolation prize.
- Cuttlefishing – Cuttlefishing is a mini game that you can play solo or with a group. There is a time limit and you use a boat with 3 different hooks to try and catch fish. The best method is to try and catch the most combined weight of the fish. the larger fish will be at the bottom and are often blocked by obstacles like rocks, while the smaller fish are closer to the boat and easier to catch. You win coins based on the most combined weight.
- Treasure Hunt – There’s a treasure hunt party in which 2 or more players try and collect the most treasures. The kicker with this game is that it’s mostly luck. You roll the die and take the number of steps displayed. To catch treasure, you have to land exactly on the treasure space; yup, you can pass right by the treasures and have to circle the map to get back. I do like that there are power-ups on the map that can help prevent others from winning.
- Word Guess – Every 2 hours players can head to a community park and participate in the word guess game. You will be given a question with a blank and you only need to guess the letter that is inside of the word used to complete the sentence or question. Even if you don’t know the answer, you can guess a letter and win!
- Hunting Area – The hunting area is my least favorte activity. It’s pretty much fishing, but you have to keep tapping the line to reel in the animal. The larger the animal, the harder it is to reel in. It’s not my cup of tea and it hurt my finger playing the game lol.
Quests and Areas – You can also earn money by completing various quests on the game. Each day, you wil have a list of Daily Quests to complete. Upon completion, you receive XP and coins. There are also developmental tasks that give you more exerience and coins than the daily tasks.
There are different areas that you can visit like the Community Park, Friend’s Hotspring, Hunting Area and Treasure Island. These areas can be accessed by clicking on the World Compass. Each area has a different mini game and activities.
There are additional community activities like Fashion Shows and Boss battles (I haven’t been on to play any of these events yet as they are more infrequent).
Final Thoughts: I really like the game. It is targeted to anime fans, and I think it is targeted a bit more towards females, but I’ve seen plenty of males playing as well. It’s a great social networking game; as you benefit more from having friends that can send you candies, needed for tasks like the Pinata Parties. I feel like the graphics are what you would expect from any anime type game and the colors definitely fit the part.
As with all of my reviews, my top reasons to “Play” or “Skip” Sky Islands is listed below!
- An addictive world building game like Farmville
- Free To Play
- A nice blend of activities
- Do not like Player Development games
- Can be Pay To Play to advance faster in the game
- Prefer more action
Thank you for reading the mobile game review! Have you heard of Sky Islands? What type of mobile games are you currenlty playing? Let’s talk mobile gaming!